| |

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Stylist Myth: Your hair won't grow unless you cut it.

Hello everyone! Ahhh I'm in such a good mood tonight. Earlier I colored my teacher's hair, and it turned out fabulous! I used Redken Shades EQ 2 parts 6R, 1 part 3RV, and a splash of 7T for those who want to know. Her base was about a level 5 medium brown (virgin), and the result was a very cool wine color. I'll definitely be using that color again! The only reason I used 3RV was because we were out of Violet Kicker, so I'll have to try it and see if I like it better the the Kicker or with 3RV. I'll keep you guys posted.

Anyways, tonight I'll be discussing a very annoying and downright outrageous myth that stylists everywhere tell their clients: "Your hair won't grow unless you get it cut regularly." Honestly? So you're saying that hair grows until your next scheduled haircut, but if you don't get your ends cut off, your hair will simply stop growing. OUT-RAGE-OUS. What about nails? If you don't get regular manicures will your nails stop growing? And your skin won't regenerate unless you get regular spa treatments, right? I mean hair, skin, and nails are made of nearly the same components, so that should be correct, yes? WRONG. Your hair continues to grow REGARDLESS of whether or not you choose to get a haircut. Whether your hair will look nice or not is a different story.

The main reason why your hair "doesn't grow" is breakage. The people who complain the most about hair not growing have chemically treated hair, whether it's been colored, lightened, highlighted, permed, or relaxed, and on top of that they often use heat styling tools. You'll notice that people who do not (or very rarely) have chemically treated hair can either have it cut more often, or go without a haircut longer because their hair is much healthier than someone with chemically treated hair, and therefore does not need to be in the salon all the time.

Also, another thing about this myth that confuses me is, if you color your hair and you have outgrowth, how can you say or even think that your hair is not growing? I can't believe so many people believe this, when it's just downright silly. BE PATIENT. Try putting down your flat-iron/curling iron/blowdryer and give your hair some time to relax. The bottom line is: Your hair never stops growing.

Agree? Disagree? Comment and let's talk about it. I'm always open to hear other people's thoughts and views. Until next time, take care of your hair everyone! =D

0 comments: