| |

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Redken Blown Away 09 Review

Hey guys! Today I'm reviewing a recent purchase, and new favorite of mine: Redken Blown Away 09 Protective Blow Dry Gel. I know the word gel might raise some flags, but it's actually really light on your hair, and creates incredible volume! It also has a very clean, sort of citrus-like scent--I like it. It lives up to its name, because I was Blown Away when I used it, and saw the results it gave! Bye-bye root lifters, this is now my go-to volumizing product.

In case you're unfamiliar with Redken styling products, the number indicates the amount of hold and control that product will give you. The numbers go like this: 01-05 is light/mild, 06-15 is medium, and 16-26 is maximum. Blown Away is 09, which means it holds, but it is not heavy.

The main ingredients are: Water, VP/Acrylates/Lauryl Methacrylate Copolymer, Propylene Glycol, Triethanolamine, and PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil. Jeez, could that second ingredient pick a name please? LOL. Basically it's what gives the product the gel consistency, as well as providing control and body to the hair. Our favorite humectant, Propylene Glycol is included as well, to keep the moisture in your hair. Triethanolamine (or TEA) is an emulsifier, typically used to increase viscosity in a product and adjust the pH. PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil is an emollient that has some conditioning properties as well.

As with any volumizing product, a little goes a long way. This is a very useful product for creating volume, body, and thickness--but used incorrectly could end up showing unsatisfactory results. Like always, the directions on the tube are quite vague. "Style: Appy desired amount to wet hair and blow-dry." -_- I don't think that's very helpful, so here's what I do:
  • Apply a small amount of Blown Away into your palms. It may take you a few times to get the amount just right for your hair, but I suggest starting with a quarter sized dollop and going from there.
  • Focusing on the roots, apply Blown Away to clean damp hair. If you want, you can comb it through.
  • Rough dry your hair before actually styling it. A rough dry means just blow-drying your hair until it is 80% dry.
  • I suggest using a round brush for maximum volume. A vent or styler brush will work too.
  • Be sure to use your cool shot button! It really does serve a purpose, LOL. Hot air creates a style, and cool air sets it, so be sure and cool shot each section of hair you blow-dry.
I think I might do a post on all about blow-drying soon. Good idea? Well, we'll see. 

Redken Blown Away 09 comes in a 5 oz. / 150 ml tube, and retails for about $15. Personally, I think it's worth every cent! Be sure to check out my May Favorites coming later today, and take care of your hair everyone!! ;-)

3 comments:

G. said...

This review is SO helpful! Redken products seem to be hit or miss for me but this one is definitely something I'd like to try. Root lift sprays tend to end up feeling like glue on my scalp, so this sounds absolutely perfect (and you're right--the word "gel" often leaves me running the other way). Such great information, and thank you for the extra-super styling tips. LOVE that! And yes, do write a post on blow-drying soon :)

Anonymous said...

WELL WRITTEN! THANKS FROM SWEDEN

Anonymous said...

This is absolutely the best product out there for fine limp hair. I've tried them all and only this one works. I used to use Redkin Clean Lift and was lost when they took it off the market. This is their replacement and it works just as well. For two years I kept trying one product after another and nothing did as well. Thank goodness they came out with this replacement product.