| |

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Rockaholic Rock My World Stellar Smoothing Cream Review

Hey guys! Today I'm reviewing a new addition to the TIGI Rockaholic line: Rock My World Stellar Smoothing Cream, because I just don't have enough smoothing products. Is there such a thing? ...No, there can't be! Anyway, this recently came out along with Dirty Secret Dry Conditioner. That sounds weird, right? I'll review that next. The label on Rock My World reads: "This stellar cream goes on wet or dry hair while protective barriers help prevent thermal damage. Light hold keeps hair smooth & sends good vibrations your way!" My first thought? I thought it sounded an awful lot like After Party, and to be honest they are pretty similar, but different. Mostly because this product looks much less phallic then After Party does. Not that it's a bad thing, I'm just saying. Also, thank you to the person who pointed that out to me, and now that's all I can think of when I see it. No, but they are different aside from that. I'll explain after we go through the ingredients.

The full ingredient list:
Water, Dimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethiconol, PVP, Polyacrylamide, Propylene Glycol, VP/VA Copolymer, Phenyl Trimethicone, Bismuth Oxychloride, C13-14 Isoparaffin, PEG-8 Methicone, Phenoxyethanol, Castor Seed Oil, Mica, Fragrance, Sodium PCA, Laureth-7, Dimethicone PEG-8 Meadowfoamate, Panthenol, Methylisothiazolinone, Alpha Isomethyl Ionone, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Citronellol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Linalool, CI 17789 (Titanium Dioxide).

Without the fluff:
Water, Dimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethiconol, PVP, Polyacrylamide, Propylene Glycol, VP/VA Copolymer, Phenyl Trimethicone, Bismuth Oxychloride, C13-14 Isoparaffin, PEG-8 Methicone, Castor Seed Oil, Sodium PCA, Laureth-7, Dimethicone PEG-8 Meadowfoamate, Panthenol.

Water: the base of almost every haircare product. Dimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethiconol, Phenyl Trimethicone, PEG-8 Methicone, Dimethicone PEG-8 Meadowfoamate, are all conditioning silicones. Some are stronger than others, but they all balance out when you throw in cyclopentasiloxane. I think I've covered all of those in previous posts, so if you're wondering about a specific silicone, just use the search function on the top right of my blog. C13-14 Isoparaffin, and Polyacrylamide are thickening agents. Castor Seed Oil is an occlusive coniditoning agent, usually found in skincare products but it's not unheard of to be in haircare. It forms a barrier on the hair/skin's surface preventing moisture loss. Sodium PCA is an anti-static agent, and a humectant, which is perfect for a product like this. Laureth-7 is an emulsifying agent; it's used to blend everything together. PVP and VP/VA Copolymer gives a light hold, almost like you wouldn't know if they didn't tell you. Bismuth Oxychloride kind of threw me off, because I don't remember seeing it anywhere else. It's actually used to give products that pretty pearlescent effect. Apparently it's used in a lot of mineral makeup too, and some people are like allergic or sensitive to it. So if your mineral makeup makes you itch, this might be why.

Now, on to the differences between Rock My World and After Party. The biggest one is that RMW does give hold, however slight, and AP doesn't. This actually does make a difference, because RMW will smooth your hair and keep it together, while AP mostly just smooths and adds shine to your hair. There's definitely more of a "slippery" feeling with AP, because it's SO conditioning, and I don't really get that with RMW. However, some who feel that AP makes their hair "too soft" will probably like RMW, because it makes your hair a more naturally soft feeling. Something that's also interesting, AP directions say to use it on dry hair, when RMW says you can use it on wet or dry hair. I feel like AP got it backwards, because it works great in wet hair, but I feel like it's a bit heavy on dry hair... but maybe that's just me. RMW works great in either wet or dry hair, btw. So, it's not that one is better than the other, they're just different - but similar. Also, the scents are way different. RMW's scent is "blackberry amber" - it's delish! And AP's scent is "fruit medley" ...? I don't know, but it does smell fruity, and it's one of my favorite scents so.

Rock My World is probably best for fine/normal - normal/coarse hair. I don't think people with very coarse hair will get much out of it, and I think it might be a bit too heavy for people with fine hair. It's also a good product to cocktail with other smoothing/shine products.
Cocktail: (v) to mix two hair products together, to combine the effects of both. Most commonly done with conditioners.
Rockaholic Rock My World Stellar Smoothing Cream comes in a 3.46 oz / 98 g bottle, and retails for around $19.

That was kind of a long one! By the way, my birthday is this month. I'll be 21 - yay! Take care of your hair, and try to stay warm!

0 comments: