| |

Friday, March 19, 2010

Catwalk Your Highness Thickening Gel Creme Review

Oh my Westopher, I know how you've been mourning the loss of the classic Catwalk products... even though I absolutely hated their packaging. I mean really, they just used the Bed Head font, and the bottles looked so plain.

They went from this:

To this:


Don't you all think it looks WAY better? But, I mourn with you, as they no longer make Fast-Fixx, one of my favorite leave-in conditioners/de-tanglers. It was also one of my first reviews ever. Thankfully I got a Biggie size of it last summer, so I still have about a half a bottle (plus ya know... all my other stuff), but still... it won't last forever. Then once it's gone, it's gone... up in hair product heaven. I suppose if I really wanted, I could get more online, but buying hair products online scares me. Plus, I don't know if I could pay retail for it... I'm so spoiled now.

But alas, there's hope! A light at the end of the tunnel! An end to my melodrama! It's called: Your Highness. Isn't that what you like to be called in bed? LOL, kidding! Anyway, aside from the gorgeous and well needed new packaging, the products are a hit! Today I'm reviewing the Thickening Gel Creme For Luminescent Fuller Hair. The new Catwalk has been divided into three categories: Prep It (Elevating Shampoo + Nourishing Conditioner), Work It (Thickening Gel Creme + Root Boost), Perfect It (Firm Hold Hairspray + Weightless Shine Spray).

I've been using the Thickening Gel Creme for a while, and I've come to adore it. By itself, it gives a nice touch of volume with a healthy shine, and combined with other products it can really make some massive hair! Since my hair is so thick already, I usually find volumizing products to be kind of drying and feel like I have a case of Product OD - not the case with this. It conditions and adds body without making your hair feel like straw... know what I mean?

Also something I've decided to start doing is giving you all the full ingredient list, and then de-fluffing it by taking out the ingredients that have little to no effect on the product (botanical extracts, fragrances, preservatives, etc) and explaining what really makes the product work. So, here's the full ingredient list:

Water, PEG-17 Dimethicone, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, VP/DMAPA Acrylates Copolymer, Methyl Gluceth-20, Fragrance, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Methylparaben, Panthenol, Linalool, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Methylisothiazolinone, Limonene, Citric Acid, Sunflower Seed Oil, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Jasmine Flower Extract, Viola Odorata (Sweet Violet) Leaf Extract, Lavender Flower/Leaf Stem Extract, Wisteria Floribunda (Japanese Wisteria) Extract, CI 60730 (Ext. Violet 2), CI 17200 (Red 33).


The de-fluffed ingredient list:

PEG-17 Dimethicone, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, VP/DMAPA Acrylates Copolymer, Methyl Gluceth-20, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Panthenol, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol.


PEG-17 Dimethicone is part of a group of polymers that come from polyoxyethylene + dimethicone. Specifically, it's used as a conditioning agent. PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil and Hydrolyzed Soy Protein are emulsifiers, basically they help the other ingredients get along and mix well. VP/DMAPA Acrylates Copolymer is a film former that gives a slight hold. Methyl Gluceth-20 is made from glucose and methyl alcohol. It's a very effective humectant; it's also used as a foaming agent + an emollient. Hydroxyethylecellulose is a thickening/gelling agent. Panthenol (vitamin B5) works to strengthen the hair shaft, condition, and add volume and shine. Glycerin and Propylene Glycol are humectants used to add moisture to hair and lock it in.

I've used this in a lot of different ways... like if I want a just little bounce to my hair I'll use about two pumps of this and add a couple S-Factor Dream Drops to it in damp hair (I mix Dream Drops in like, everything lol), then blowdry. My hair feels full and looks really smooth + shiny. Or If I wanna wear my hair natural and let it air dry, I'll use a pump of this and my KMS HairStay Style Boost or Sebastian Volupt Spray (both of which I'm reviewing next) or even Rusk Thick, or Bed Head Superstar Blowdry Lotion. You could even try mixing this with a straightening product (like Bed Head Control Freak) or with a curling product (like Catwalk's new Curlesque collection). I think this product is made to be used with other products, but it's useful by itself too!

So Wes, I know how hard it is to move on when you've found something you love, I've been there many, many times. Fortunately, I still see places with the old Catwalk products all the time - you better stock up! The new Catwalk is here to stay, embrace it! You might even like it. If not, there's 5 other TIGI brands out there... I suggest S-Factor - it is my haircare holy grail right now.

Catwalk Your Highness Thickening Gel Creme comes in a 215 ml / 7.27 fl. oz bottle, and retails for around $15-$18.

Have a good weekend everyone! Enjoy Spring, and take care of your hair!

3 comments:

beautifullyrandom said...

great review. but i'm totally sad the catwalk headshot shampoo and conditioner are gone! just when I fell in love *poof* its gone. *sigh*

Anonymous said...

Brilliant review and I totally agree. I have used Redken before my hair dried out and started to fall out. I used Matrix, which although good it only dealt with the cosmetic problems after a while it didn't work, so next step was Seah, brilliant bur it made my hair greasy. I changed to L'oreal professional, great but not stunning. My final shampoo range was Kerestase good but again the big bulky bottles put me off. I go for the experience as well as the goodness of the product. After visiting an award winning salon local to me my stylist suggested I use S Factor Sulphate free Shampoo and conditioner, Diamond dreams for deep conditioning (guys and girls look it up it's heavenly). Well I've ditched everything now I'm a true TIGI convert. S Factor smells incredible even my Fiance noticed, hairs healthier than ever and I have fine hair but loads of it so I'd say thick-ish (just!). I use SFactor styling products, shine spray, dehumidifier etc.... Incredible. But with the swap to sulphate free shampoo my hair looked better once I washed it several times later, I guess my air was just getting used to the change. This week I ordered Catwalk Your Highness Shampoo and nourishing conditioner - first wash, remarkable and thickening creme, it's more like a transparent gel. You know what? Like the top review says, other Redken products left my hair like straw, this stuff( catwalk tigi) actually works. I've now invested in a hydrating spray leave in conditioner I have to tell you, this stuff is superb. For me it's about the experience like I mentioned earlier. The texture, bottle is a pleasure to look at, makes you feel special, pampered, it smells so sexy, a fresh 'salon smell' the shampoo consistency is light yet incredibly affective. Conditioner is smooth and silky. I love it. Ordered yesterday will arrive soon hopefully in time for the weekend!!

Anderson said...


Excellent tips. Really useful stuff .Never had an idea about this, will look for more of such informative posts from your side.. Good job...Keep it up

Hair Thickening Gel